Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Voice of Bhutanese Refugee

Aite Maya,18 years

I am a Bhutanese girl and I am proud of being Bhutanese. I arrived in the camp in 1992. People say to us that we are simply coming to Nepal and being given everything. They do not understand the problems we face in the camps. When they say bad things about us we have no power to answer.

I have been a member of the Rose Class since 1998, holding the position of photographer. Although I am not as confident as a professional photographer in using the camera I still know how to take a photograph. I want to become a good photographer and if I do I will train other children to use a camera. I will be frank with them but I will not scold them otherwise they will not learn fast. I want to take pictures for newspapers and to use my photography to share my views with others, spreading my photos around the world. By seeing our pictures I hope people will not hate us but understand our situation and help us to return to Bhutan. I do not believe anyone should have to face a refugee life.

Nar Bdr, 18 years

I am a bonafide citizen of the land of the Thunder Dragon, Bhutan, but my family was compelled to cross the border, carrying me and my sister, and leave everything behind. Now I am a Bhutanese boy living in a refugee camp. We pray to our gods for peace and harmony and to allow us to return to Bhutan. In the camp we feel like birds kept in cages. There are many children born here who have learnt to walk and talk in the atmosphere of the camp. They know nothing about Bhutan and it is our duty to teach them. In our society we believe everyone should love and take proper care of children as they are the future family holders and nation builders.

Photography is the only medium through which I can focus all my feelings about living a refugee life. I have come to understand the real objectives of snapping photos: they can create awareness and cooperation among the refugee community and also with communities in other countries of the world about our way of life and what it means to be a refugee. I ask for strength and wisdom from my Almighty and hope that I will be a confident and able photographer in the future. That would bring happiness to my life.

Devi, 16 years

I was only seven when I left Bhutan with my parents. I did not know why we left. I hardly remember the incident but my father, mother, brother and sisters cried a lot when we left and when I saw them cry I cried too. Now that I am older I know the cause of our eviction. My greatest sorrow then was leaving the school I'd been studying at for a year. Refugee children like me are very lucky to continue their education for free. I have studied to secondary level and am going to study further soon. I want to be a great doctor or a renowned journalist.

I am spending this refugee life quite happily, it is good being with friends and relatives, but I am very sad not to be in my homeland and not to have citizenship. I am lucky to be involved in the Rose Class project as a journalist for our publication, The Shangri-La Sandesh. The class has brought me confidence, given me more experience and developed me mentally, giving me another view and essential practical knowledge.


Aita Singh, 18 years

I see Bhutan in my dreams. There I am working in the paddy fields and looking after the cows.
We were very sad when my father was made to sign the Voluntary Migration Form. The official said we would have to leave Bhutan within 15 days. We sold our cows, goats and sheep and came to Nepal. All we brought were four boxes, mattresses, clothes, three pots and some other utensils. When we arrived here we were given rations and plastic by an agency.

My house in Bhutan is now covered by jungle. Nothing in the world can erase my sweet dream to go back to Bhutan.

Earlier, I was living in this situation in camp and thinking there was nothing I could do for my community but now I feel that I can make a useful contribution to our community. I am grateful for that. I do not want my life to be futile. The word refugee does not mean devoid of desire, curiosity and interest. I have to express my opinion.


Goma, 16 years

To me, the future is a time the dreams of which waste the present. Everyone thinks about the future forgetting everything in the present. If we go on thinking about the future we will not reach the destination until our death, so our life will be meaningless. When I think about our future my brain cannot work properly. Eight years have already passed in the hope of returning to Bhutan. But nothing has been done. If we were in Bhutan in our own land the future would make me feel very happy. But as a refugee -- an exiled citizen -- I don't feel very glad about my future. I want to spend the rest of my life in Bhutan. I want to be educated and I want to do various things for my nation. For me and all of the Bhutanese refugees to return and spend the rest of our lives in Bhutan happily unity and cooperation is the immediate need.

No comments: